A strong pedigree
After fifteen successful years as PCG, we became IPSE - The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed in 2014.
PCG was formed in May 1999 to provide independent contractors and consultants with a representative voice in opposition to the original IR35 proposals. Since then, we have evolved from being a single-issue campaign group to a fully fledged, not-for-profit professional body, and into the largest association of independent professionals in the EU.
We now represent 22,000 freelancers, contractors and consultants from every sector of the economy and it is our ambition to become the voice for the 4.8 million self-employed people across the UK.
We've had some notable successes over the years:
- Protection from IR35: IPSE has successfully helped thousands of members with IR35. Thanks to our expert advice and insurance, freelancers who are IPSE members are half as likely to pay extra tax under IR35 than those who aren’t.
- Small Business Commissioner: We were instrumental in establishing this newly created Government post, aimed at naming and shaming companies with a late payment culture.
- Self Employment Review: IPSE called for and directly fed into the Government-commissioned review of solo working, aimed at
- Tax relief for work-related travel and subsistence: In 2015 the Government announced it was planning to curtail the vital tax freelancers rely on for work travel. IPSE’s extensive lobbying and media campaign ensured the plans were shelved.
- Intra-company transfers: These rules allow companies to transfer specialist staff between countries to address skills shortages, but are sometimes exploited to reduce contractors’ fees. IPSE successfully brought about a change in the rules to tackle this exploitation.
- S660 win in the House of Lords: IPSE successfully backed two members all the way to the House of Lords in a case involving punitive and retrospective changes to tax law, and the case was consequently thrown out.
The future promises to be even more exciting for IPSE and the UK’s self-employed community. Click here to find out about our current work.