IPSE is the UK's only not-for-profit membership organisation for the self-employed.
Join 16,000 other freelancers, contractors, consultants, independent professionals and interims as a full member of IPSE. Our market-leading membership can help you in any stage of your career, from side-hustle to a full-scale operation.Join now
Here for you
An IPSE membership offers you access to tax and legal helplines to calm any worrying thoughts, as well as wellbeing services through our partners. We also offer events, awards and networking opportunities so you never feel alone.
Here for your business
We want to see your business succeed. An IPSE membership offers you up to £10,000* in cover if a client, umbrella company or agency goes into administration. Membership also offers tax investigation cover and so much more.
Here for the self-employed
We work tirelessly behind the scenes for you and every self-employed business, such as successfully campaigning for the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.
Representing the self-employed in
Our three membership plans have been designed by the self-employed, for the self-employed.
With the right protection for your business, you can focus on what you do best.
Meet our members
Meet John Bloomfield, founder of Dogs, Mogs and Sprogs, and IPSE member.
After working in the insurance industry for years, John decided to leave it to pursue a job he actually enjoyed. Having always had a passion for animals, John has found his calling as a professional dog walker and photographer. John's love for his work and the positivity it has brought into his life has been inspiring for us all.
IPSE gives freelancers the support they need to thrive in today's market. For me, the best part of IPSE membership is attending the organised events as I always learn something new and make useful connections.
Improve Your Accent, Founder
Being a member of IPSE has plugged me into a fantastic array of resources that I just wouldn't be able to access otherwise. I've also been given access to really useful perks that are normally only available to full-time employees.
The Young Money Blog, Founder
As an IPSE Plus member I rest easy knowing that support is just a phone call away. The tax and legal helplines have solved quite a few issues for me over the years. They have saved me a lot of pain and even got me a VAT refund!
Blue Cricket, Founder
IPSE protects its members with a range of essential benefits, from tax investigation cover to illness and injury cover.
- Cover against HMRC tax investigations
- Compensation for contract failure
- Cover for jury service
- And much more...
Grow your business
To help our members' self-employed businesses thrive, we have a huge resource centre, dedicated events, and a benefit platform to rival any large corporation.
- Access to IPSE tax and legal helplines
- Thousands of money-saving offers
- Access to all IPSE templates and guides
- Get the latest freelance news through the IPSE Newsletters
- And much more...
We ensure politicians recognise the importance of the self-employed community by highlighting their need for flexibility and freedom, and their overwhelming contribution to the UK economy.
Campaigns: Our Policy and External Affairs team work with government and right across the political landscape to make the UK a fairer place to be freelance or self-employed.
Research: Our Research team works to shed light on the reality of self-employment in the UK. With surveys and reports, they help us understand your needs and interests so we can champion them in government and across the business landscape.Find out more
Join a community
When you join IPSE, you join a supportive community of people who have chosen to be their own boss, just like you. Events, forums and our online groups all help you get to know other IPSE members from a range of industries.Find out more
- IPSE is much, much more than just tax insurance. As a not-for-profit representative body IPSE works hard on your behalf to make your life as an independent professional much easier and make sure that your way of working is recognised and welcomed.
- IPSE also gives you access to many other benefits such as the money-saving IPSE Rewards and vital business templates
- Oh, and check what's really on offer from others - often the cover isn't quite what it seems and there's an excess to pay if you make a claim. This usually costs more than IPSE Plus membership!
Over the past three years defence costs have averaged:
- Self Assessment Aspect Enquiries about £2,100 per claim
- Business Records Checks about £1,600 per claim
- Corporation Tax enquiries about £1,100 per claim
- IR35 about £6,600 per claim
And for IPSE Plus members only :
- VAT inspections about £1,100 per claim
- Jury Service about £3,500 per claim
- Agency/Client failure about £4,400 per claim